Wednesday 4 October 2017

Starting Our Infertility Journey

Recently, Behr and I started on our infertility journey. After a year of trying for a child, we realized that we were probably going to be one of those couples that would have some difficulty conceiving.

I went for the first appointment and they organized for some blood tests, a semen analysis and a hysterosalpingogram, which were all done at different times.

Behr did his semen analysis first and it was a hilarious few days, making sure we didn’t have intercourse for three days prior (classic case of the more someone tells you no, the harder it is to abstain), and waking up bright and early to get the sample over to the lab. I asked if they had magazines to inspire him, and I remember us laughing over it.

This week I did my hysterosalpingogram, an imaging test that basically checks if your Fallopian tubes are okay. It involves inserting a catheter up your cervix and injecting a contrast dye in that tracks upwards.

I had to lie down, be prepped so I was sterile and they inserted a speculum in (uncomfortable!). There were a first year and a third year radiology masters student, but the first year female doctor proceeded to attempt to put in the catheter.

I was prepared for it to be painful, but I had taken a painkiller, so the pain was tolerable. The first doctor couldn’t insert the catheter though (I could hear the words difficult, if I force it it would be traumatic etc), and at that point they would call a registrar. As they opened the door a crack and the registrar poked his head in, I realized it was Jimmy, my ex-medical officer back when I was a houseman. FML.

Eventually they called in a female registrar and they finally proceeded. As they injected the dye, I got these massive abdominal cramps - I must have been making a face because they then put in a brannula to give some IV medications.

Apparently the procedure usually takes 30 minutes, mine ended up taking over an hour. 😅 I was good immediately after, but later that day, I had the worst cramping pains I’ve ever experienced - I couldn’t walk, didn’t have any painkillers on hand, and basically stayed curled up in bed until Behr came back with a hot pack and medicine. I was still in pain for two days after!

The things women have to go through. 😑

I wanted to share our story because I’ve had so many people telling me they went through a similar situation, and I don’t think it’s something to hide behind.

Infertility is more common than you think, and I don’t feel it’s something to be ashamed of. It’s a shared problem - and if you have been trying for children for a year without success, both partners should be tested.

Children, like everything else, are blessings from Allah. Behr and I have decided we’re not going to be super fussed either way. We’re just at the beginning of a journey, and we have no idea where it will lead us. We’re lucky in so many ways, and whatever comes up in the process, we’ll just take it as it comes. I’m lucky to have Behr, who’s been supportive throughout, and in this journey with me.

And for everyone else going through the same journey, we’re all in this together. 😘

No comments:

Post a Comment