Wednesday 11 October 2017

A Love Through Time

She's 86. He's in his 80s as well, and he's brought her in for her checkup.

She's started to forget, but her husband assures me he takes care of her medications, and that he makes sure she eats the pills every day. He's driven her here, as he usually does for her doctor's appointments, and I ask if he's still okay to drive, and he assures me he's not had any accidents, although he does complain that people always seem to be rushing and emergency braking these days.

She's got hearing difficulties and smiles at me when I ask her questions, but responds as her husband loudly translates my questions to mandarin. She's due for a hearing aid, her husband tells me, but they're still waiting.

This is their relationship, well into their golden years. He is her caregiver, the one she will rely on as her memory will slowly fade. He is accepting of the fact, but his eyes darken as I gently bring up the possibility that she might forget, forget him and their loved ones on one day.

We should all be so lucky to be loved like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment