Wednesday 30 April 2008

Unconditional Love

“I know love is unconditional. … My heart… It feels like my chest can barely contain it. Like it’s trying to escape because it doesn’t belong to me anymore. It belongs to you. And if you wanted it, I’d wish for nothing in exchange - no gifts. No goods. No demonstrations of devotion. Nothing but knowing you loved me too. Just your heart, in exchange for mine.”

“The quote from Stardust is so beautiful, so touching. I wondered, when would I feel like that?” There was a wistful note to his voice.

It was a beautiful quote, she remembered.

“I guess you’ll never know when love comes. I’ve fallen in love three times. And every time I fall in love again, I’m surprised at how much more I am able to love, how much more intense it is compared to the last time.”

“That’s surprising. I never knew it would feel different, that you could love more.”

“Maybe some people have different capacities to love. I love deeply, and when I love I give myself fully. I cannot hold back. I always give my heart.”

“I don’t think I could do that. I always hold back.”

“Maybe you haven’t found the right person. Sometimes people hold back because they’re afraid of getting hurt. That’s the problem with love. When you love someone so much, you’re vulnerable. There’s a bigger chance of letting yourself get hurt.

“True.”

“Perhaps that’s why it hurt so much for me. Falling out of love.”

“Don’t cry.”

“I’m not crying.” She surreptitiously blinked the tears out of her eyes and smiled.

“Love is universal. Sometimes I sit there and it feels like my heart could burst from all the happiness. Not just with a romantic partner, but there are times when I sit with friends and I feel so blessed from having so much love and support, that I wonder if it’s almost sinful for someone to be so happy.”

They were quiet before she spoke again.

“You know, if I had to go through all the pain I’ve had in the past five months, I would. I wouldn’t have traded those memories of love for anything. I wouldn’t erase any of it.”

“Then again, at the end of the day, we are just humans, and love is fleeting for us, which is why we are not meant to anchor ourselves fully to the ideals of love, and love for God is meant to be a priority over everything else.”

10 comments:

  1. “Perhaps that’s why it hurt so much for me. Falling out of love.”

    I almost wanted to cry freely at this line.

    When I reached the bottom of this post, I realized that I don't love God that much, yet, to empathize as much with the quote.

    For I feel that God has betrayed my trust far too much.

    If only for me to learn my life lessons.

    -

    I emphasize the truth after all; not blind faith.

    -

    I'm at a point in my life where I'm jaded by the idea of loving; believing in love; believing in goodwill; trust, once more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love for god?

    you can't be serious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When it comes to love, I have one song that speaks the best of love.Dewa19's LAGU CINTA, which sits on top of my favorite playlist, says something about, "Cinta bukan sekedar kata-kata indah
    Cinta bukan sekedar buaian belaian peraduan"


    I make sure that I'm always in Love.That's when you'll feel His Presence.Alhamdulillah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Humans have fragile emotions that the devils like to play with.

    And love can sometimes be one evil play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. u know wht.. u've just made me cried :)

    u've putting all the thought into words nicely.. i've just posted some of ur phrase at my blog, if u dont mind

    ReplyDelete
  6. in lovey dovey mood ke? hehehe...

    i had an experience of falling for someone, but it was WRONG from the very beginning

    it was difficult to end the r/ship and even when it had ended i was not ready for it

    entahlah...life's like that kot - cliche kan hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this post. it was a nice read miss aida :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. it certainly is nice if one could reach to this unconditional love.

    unconditional; adj. not determined or influenced by someone or something else

    and that bloody bastard took her away from me. or that bitch poisoned her to hate me. or her dad doesn't approve just a spm educated budak kampung.

    or we're actually talking unconditional love of different perspective?

    well, i love that movie stardust! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's was that scene when the antihero, Tristan Thorn, bewitched into a mouse as a precondition for getting a caravan lift. Yvaine is practically invisible :P so much for getting real.

    she was convinced that he wouldn't pick up anything she wouldd want to say over some technical reflexes of being both hungry and a mouse. so she secretly poured her hearts out, cheatingly.

    and it was wonderful written :) capturing that urging moment at the brink of losing all control. looking at it at near and far.

    check out Yvaine facial acrobat :) a bit disturbing but, damn, that’s how it is :P

    believe it or not i bought the movie dvd cause it has a catchy title and cast robert de niro and ricky gervais. and the wonder of where the hell u got a pile of lexicon to wrote one of ur entry.. something about stardust that i remembered :P "this might expains" haha.

    gud movie, must say :) fantasy got its own way of saying things.

    bodicea, u didnt mean that stuff u write about God.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bodicea: Life has it's cycles. Perhaps it is your time for cynicism, but perhaps one day you will look back and realise the lessons you were meant to learn.

    Anon: At the risk of sounding preachy, it is the only thing that keeps me going in my darkest hours. Let me be.

    And Njb, unconditional love can be read any way you want to. :)

    ReplyDelete