Friday 10 September 2010

Happy Eid

A friend of mine wished me Happy Eid tonight, and told me that he wished the following year to bring him improvement and growth in his personal life. 

It took me to thinking about one of the meanings of Eid ul Fitr, which is meant to symbolize purification after a month of fasting. 

I have always associated Eid with forgiveness, and celebration alone, but today was the first time that I realised there was more than one meaning to the celebration of Eid. 

A new start, almost. 

He asked me what I wished for, and for a second, I didn't really know what to say.

Now I have the time I to think about it, I too, wish for self-improvement. I too, wish for growth, and I wish to grow into my potential. I wish for happiness, and guidance towards my goals and the right path. Most of all, I wish for the strength to overcome the obstacles in my path, and the strength to overcome these barriers within myself.

As I sit in my room tonight, there is no noise, no happy laughter, no festivities. I am the only one celebrating Eid in this house. I long for family so badly that I can almost hear the happy laughter of cousins and siblings, the animated chatter of aunts and uncles, and the takbir raya from the mosque in front of my grandmother's house, bittersweet and haunting.

However, I am thankful for the family I am surrounded with here, a family not linked by blood. I am thankful for my sanity. And I am thankful that I have the opportunity to ask for forgiveness from the people who I have encountered. Once again, I am blessed.

We are all on our own journeys and we will all have our own way of finding out what's best for us.Happy celebrating Eid to you, wherever you are. May you find your own meaning behind today, and have a blessed celebration ahead of you. 

4 comments:

  1. selamat hari raya aida..altho' u missed the festivities the malaysian style hehe,u've gained some wisdom it seems :D

    jangan sedih2 :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey babe. selamat hari raya.
    subang is so quiet. well on the eve n first day anyway. but pyramid was full!!!!

    selamat hari raya! :D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Selamat hari raya to u too, Aida :) Maaf kalau ada buat salah samada sengaja atau tak, dalam apa2 segi ya. Anyway, I was wondering about ur previous post in Fb... ur pic is on today's Kosmo :) Since u were wondering whether it'll be published or not :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Eid to you too Miss Aida. Hope you'll get what you wish for, insyaAllah.

    ReplyDelete