Wednesday 19 April 2006

Keeper

He gave me earrings. They're dangly and very sparkly and absolutely gorgeous. I was struck at how well he knew me, how well he could gauge my reaction. They were Swarovski, and the biggest crystals I've ever owned, and I knew he had to have saved a lot to have gotten them, especially on the student's budget we were on, and that made all the difference.

"I want to give you something that you'll be able to use in the future and remember this night and this year."

How could a girl not melt? Then again I'm biased.

It was a joint celebration. I turned 22 and we were celebrating our engagement. I was 22 and engaged, and we wanted to share our happiness with those dearest to us, at least the ones who were in Melbourne.

The party was rowdy and noisy and filled with laughter, I still remain amazed that my apartment squeezed in the fifty-odd people that turned up, and after I was able to finish cooking and serving the food, I could finally sit down and enjoy myself. The night passed by in a blur, but it was a blur of feel-good emotions.

And then the highlight of the night.

The performance of the night. Complete with guitarist and violins, he sang Yellowcard's Only One, and I think half the room went "Aww…". My heart felt like it was bursting out of my chest from emotion as he sang, and he sang as if he meant every word. And perhaps he did.

"He's a keeper, that one," said Chris.

And he couldn't have been more right.

No comments:

Post a Comment