Wednesday 2 January 2019

Be My Eyes

When I first downloaded the Be My Eyes app, I didn't expect to get a call so fast - after all, some people wait ages before they even get a call; and yet just days after registering for an account, I received a call from a young Indian gentleman asking me if I could help him check if his printout had printed correctly. 

Unfortunately the camera wasn't able to focus too well, but I could make out that he had printed out some sort of email and a receipt, and told him. He was so excited, and kept repeating that this was such a cool app, and I couldn't help smiling at his excitement. 

I've had patients who've had to deal with losing their eyesight, and sometimes, I wish we had more resources to help with their everyday adaptation. 

Seeing individuals like the gentleman I spoke to earlier, seemingly independent and adapted makes me happy, and having if technology like this can make their everyday lives a little bit easier, it shows that we're heading towards the right direction. 

For those interested, the app is called Be My Eyes, and you can download it to your phone and sign up as a volunteer.

1 comment: