Wednesday 9 December 2015

New Horizons

The impending thought of leaving a familiar workplace is a bit scary.

It's been two years since I moved to Muar to serve the district, full of expectations to serve a sleepy little town but to able to connect with a community that would have been very different from a hospital setting. 

I wasn't sure what to expect.

Coming from a big town and moving into a district setting, I had no idea what the daily working life would be, especially being so far removed from friends. I went with good intentions and the will to serve the people, and with the idea to 'do my time' and pay back to the community as a doctor.

I found myself enjoying work.

It was a vast different from having to battle traffic, and the experience became so much more enjoyable because the staff at Pejabat Kesihatan Muar were absolute class acts. It was a great team; the kind where everyone pulled their weight, and workplace politics were minimal, and people genuinely valued your work. Our bosses valued us and listened to our suggestions, and I had colleagues who were professional and looked out for each other.

It was busy, but as busy as we could be, with a team that worked together the whole process became so much better.

It was difficult to leave, but it wasn't quite home, and I needed to make my mark elsewhere before I became complacent to the life that was there. If I had friends who were nearby, or if I was planning to start a family there, I would have been very tempted to put down roots.

As it was, my journey was yet to begin, and it was with some trepidation that I viewed my leaving.

I am thankful for my time and the lessons I have learnt in Muar. 

I am thankful for being able to serve the people, the old pakciks and makciks in kampung; for reminding me of the bigger picture of the majority that we cater to outside out acute centres, for the stories and the lessons that I learnt during my short stay away from the city.

Where a door closes, another door opens - and mine was there, beckoning in the horizon; as obscure as that pathway still might be, but change was needed, and it was time for me to follow my dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment