Wednesday 13 August 2014

A Passing Compliment

A friend texted me earlier today. 

“A friend sent me this message on Facebook. “That girl in your pictures, can you tell her I said hello? I think she’s beautiful.”” 

That girl he was talking about was me. 

In the world today, a lot of people meet through social media. I’ve had friends ask about other friends, ask for introductions. All it takes is a photo to spark an interest, a glimpse of someone that triggers an attraction. 

I admit, I was flattered. 

Which girl wouldn’t be, to be called beautiful? 

Then again, it brought to mind the phrase that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. These days, beauty is also in the carefully curated version that is displayed to the world. With such broad penetration of social media, every individual has the right to pick and choose what they want the world to see. We have the discretion to pick and choose the face we display to the public, and I freely admit that vanity plays a large enough role in this process. 

The rising trend of social media is suggested to coincide with a rise in narcissism and an undue pressure for people to adhere to an idea of beauty. 

It was indeed flattering to be thought of as beautiful, but as I mulled over the compliment, I realized that it was indeed a superficial impression, presented by a glossy, well lit photo of myself. 

I would much rather be known for the beauty of my spirit or the beauty of my mind. 

(One can hope that you can find some beauty in one’s character after all). 

In the meantime, I suppose I can appreciate a passing compliment.

No comments:

Post a Comment