Wednesday 25 September 2013

Start to A New Life

It's been a busy enough start to this chapter. 

Working in a government clinic, where things are done manually, where patients bring in books filled with doctors notes where I scratch my head to decipher the writing of the previous doctor to come to conclusion with the diagnosis - is a far cry from the ease of using a computerized system that I was used to in my previous hospital. 

I see about 50 patients on my own, and half the time I'm desperately trying to remember the official clinical guidelines off my head so I can make a decision based on good clinical practice as opposed to just starting something based on experience. 

I realize the burden of healthcare and how it stretches across the board, to these well-meaning kampung folk who come in and listen to your spiel, and hope that your clinical skills are enough not to miss the things that shouldn't be missed, and that your conversation with that little old lady about her diabetic medications should be remembered. 

 I'm tired at the end of the day, but it seems worth it. 

Times like this I'm glad I do what I do.

Now I just have to keep the momentum and keep learning the things that I do not know.

No comments:

Post a Comment