Wednesday 14 August 2013

Love Kills

"I wish I didn't have to feel hurt. Some skill, something - to help me gloss over the heartache." She couldn't stop tears from falling, and she detested the way they felt like a sign of weakness. 

"It is a skill that many  would wish for, I think." 

He sat beside her, shoulder to shoulder as they had many times in the past. He had known her almost all her life, and he knew what she was like. She would never look at him as she cried, never allowed him to actually see her tears fall. They would always sit like this, watching the stars burn and fall in the cosmic universe, as if watching the destruction would take away whatever pain she felt.

"Why is it always the ones you love who hurt you the most?"

"Love is a glorious thing, but it is not something for the weak, not for those who lack courage. Those who love open up their hearts to the ones they love, but not everyone knows how to protect their loved ones from the hurt that they unknowingly cause. It a strange vulnerability."

"Is that why you've never allowed yourself to love?" She sniffed, in a most unladylike manner. 

He shrugged. 

"I don't know what it feels like. Like with most things, I regard all emotion with temperance lest they disrupt my life. And frankly, I have no desire to lose control. And you know I cannot. I am as I am, from the first day I was created, and things which are created know little of the desires of humanity." It was a conversation they had many times in the past.

"It's like a storm, indeed. Beautiful, but primal, and something entirely out of your control." She spoke as if it was a dream. "It is something that makes you stronger, that can anchor you through a storm, but it would be wise to remember that it is the storm."

"Storms kill."

"So does love."

No comments:

Post a Comment