Wednesday 20 April 2011

Reflection on the Unexpected

I turned a year older last week. 

Usually birthdays are a chance to reflect on the things that have happened, and to take a breather and think about improvement. 

I guess this is especially important this year, with the new chapter I have taken with my life.

As of yesterday, I joined the forces of the many government servants of Malaysia - I am now an employee of the Ministry of Health. I suppose I'd better get used to hearing the title in front of my name, although I'm still reluctant to throw it around. It's strange how people's attitudes change when they find out you're a doctor. 

It's a day that has always been on the back of my mind, but now it's here, and a lot more real. 

Last week was also a crazy week, as I was being sent threatening messages regarding a blog post that I put up about a local designer - it ended up with her friend HRH Aimar Zarin (the stranger who had been writing to me on Facebook) telling the company owner about my review, and she consequently threatened to sue. 

It is always interesting to look at the things people accuse you of, when they do not even know you.
In some of his threats, I was ridiculed for not being from high society.

Truth be told, I couldn't care less about coming from 'high society' or not. My parents did not come from a rich background, and I am not ashamed of that fact. My family and I are your average middle income citizens, and I am thankful that my parents have been able to provide us with the basic necessities of life, and a little bit more. I do not crave for the fame and fortune that some do, 

I believe that my parents raised us to the best of their abilities, and I stand proud of the fact that I am a product of their love and care. Yes, there have been diversions along the way, like any rebellious teenager, but I like to think that overall, I've turned into a reasonable member of society. 

In another threat, I was also accused by HRH Aimar Zarin of having an attitude.

To some extent, this is true - I do have an attitude. I have a tendency to be idealistic - I believe that wrongs should be righted, that truth and justice will prevail, and that one should speak out. I tend to be overprotective when it comes to those I love. For better or for worse, that is who I am.

Every accusation has a grain of truth in it, and I admit, my attitude is closely tied to my ego and my pride. This goes to show that there are lessons to learn, even from those who you consider not worth your time.

This year, I aim to learn some humility, to learn how to keep my pride in check, and to learn the fine balance between confidence and pride. I expect to be pushed, and criticized, and challenged, and I can only pray to God for the strength to move forward with every push, for the humility to accept every criticism I am given, and for the capability to grow every time I am challenged.

We are all human, after all, and are flawed.

5 comments:

  1. Nothing brings me more happiness than trying to help the most vulnerable people in society. It is a goal and an essential part of my life - a kind of destiny. They say it is better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable, but how about a compromise like moderately rich and just moody? Life is just a journey not the destination right ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to the service! :) u are more likely not going to experience a mid-life crisis working with the government. haha.

    knock 'em dead. not literally, doc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All men are not equal before men. But all men are equal before God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that you're so composed & open about the accusations is very inspiring. It takes conscience and civility to be able to consider some truth in the criticisms and work towards betterment from it. And that differentiates you from most people, Aida :)

    And I second Anonymous' comment. Class does not make us any more human than humility and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the support guys, I'm quaking in my shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete