Sunday 15 May 2005

Guilty Pleasures

Despite what anyone says about material appearances, I doubt most people are able to deny the fact that there are certain material things that give you that little extra zing to the day. Something that makes you feel a little better, or makes gets you into the mood you want to be in.

Some people are influenced by the way they look. Good hair days make them, bad ones break them. Days where skin seems unusually clear and glowing is enough to keep them upbeat throughout the day. Or maybe it's the smell of your favourite lip balm during those moments of stress.

Some respond to clothes. Wearing something that makes them look good gives that added edge of confidence. Or comfort clothes, of sentimental value that act as a reminder of good times, or a good phase of their lives, whenever life throws them a curveball.

Some resort to food, some to music. Some to an item of personal value. Most individuals have their little comfort mechanisms rooted in material posessions, a little something that causes them to smile a little brighter, to feel a little happier, to walk with a bit more confidence, to start the night with that little extra cheer.

For me, it is my love affair with lingerie. I am more than happy to browse for hours in a lingerie store, indulging in the rich materials of silk and satin and lace and the way they feel against skin, tempted by the different designs that seem inviting, ranging from the innocent ribbons and frills to the more interesting combinations of strategic partings.

There is something about good lingerie that makes me feel infinitely feminine. It's amazing how I can always pick out something to match my mood. That said, it is amazing how my choice of undergarments make me feel happy. My collection remains my guilty pleasure, and I take as much pleasure in collecting as I do with the actual use. My closest friends have expressed amazement at the amount of lingerie I have. I have no defence, save for the fact that I love the different cuts and designs and colours. My latest purchase was a corset and garter stockings, and that was enough to keep me on a feel good high for weeks, whenever I even looked at it, much less when I first wore it.

I care not for the fact that no one will ever know what I wear underneath the surface. It is enough to make me smile, knowing that sometimes I look stunning on the inside, as superficial as it seems, but that is my own guilty pleasure that causes me to smile a little brighter, to feel a little happier, to walk with a bit more confidence, to start the night with that little extra cheer.

No comments:

Post a Comment